Ashe Background

Ashe Background

Friday, June 06, 2008

Anyone need a cane?

This week my best friend Tiffany came to visit us while on her way to visit her new niece. We realized while she was here that we have known each other for 10 years which made going to see Sex in the City a perfect girl’s night out. I had fun and it was great to catch up. I am sure after being at our house she will probably pass on kids though! She was thrown into potty training hell. Despite Ethan having difficulty when we were back home due to him being preoccupied with his cousins, once we got home everything went back to normal. He continues to pee in the toilet but that is it. I am lost and don’t know how to fix this. Anyways, Tiffany had to leave us so we meet with her family at Cracker Barrel to do the exchange. I don’t know what got into Ethan during lunch but he was acting out and just wouldn’t listen. Some warnings later he still was being difficult so I took him to the bathroom where he was going to have his time out. We both stand in the corner and he cries for the whole two minutes. When he is done I remind him that if he cannot sit in his chair and eat his food then he and I are going to go sit in the car while everyone has fun. Sounds reasonable right? As soon as I stand up and turn around there is an old woman standing right behind me and says this, “Please don’t be mean to your child, you are hurting him.” Already flustered, two scenarios run through my mind. Grab the cane she is using and run with it to the nearest dumpster or speak my mind. So I decided to do both. Just kidding, but it did cross my mind. I said “Ma’am, it is time out for a two year old, if I wanted to hurt him I would have smacked him around”. Of course she wasn’t too happy with my answer but I doubt we were going to best friends after that. However, I am sure if we were sitting next to her table when he was acting the way we did, I would have gotten the horrible ‘please control your child’ look. It doesn’t matter what you do someone is always going to have an input on how you raise your child. Oh well, I will put that comment with the other ‘Oh know you didn’t’ comments like “Are you a stay at home mom because you couldn’t find a job” and my all time favorite “Why would you want more”.

No comments: