Ashe Background

Ashe Background

Wednesday, September 04, 2013

1st Day of Preschool

Yesterday was a big and exciting day for Lexie, yet I wasn't nearly as excited.  Lexie has been to school before, but this was Lexie's first day at a regular elementary school where she would be in a classroom with regular children.  She is enrolled in a inclusion program where she sits in the same classroom and participates in age appropriate activities, but once they move along to more educational topics that are too advanced for Lexie, is when Lexie is taken aside and receives her occupational, speech and physical therapies. Plus, unlike her last school, she goes every day for half a day. So far she appears to be loving it and her teachers have not told me otherwise.  I can't fully convey how excited she gets when I pull her backpack out of the hall closet or how she practically runs to get into the car.  She loves to give her teacher a hug and a kiss every morning and I simply love how accepting her teacher is of this morning ritual.  It makes me smile when I see how much her teacher tries to include Lexie and help her communicate with the other kiddos. (I think High Fives have to be the best and most used hand gestures out there) Her teacher is very patient with Lexie despite her constant need for movement. I have always relied on Ethan and Gracie to tell me how their school day went and if they were having any problems.  However, I don't get that luxury with Lexie. It's very hard to send your child who can't communicate her needs and wants to a strange place with strange people and just pray that she is being well cared for.  Thankfully, Lexie thrives on routine so I know regardless of any rough patches we may encounter, as long we stay the course and keep doing the same thing,  hopefully everything will turn out beautifully. *fingers crossed*




No comments: